Our April AGM was followed by a lively art quiz, won by The Beers team with an impressive 38 points out of a possible 44.
Here are just some of the questions – how well will you do?
FILM, TV & MUSIC
1. Which actor played JMW Turner in the 2014 Mike Leigh film, Mr Turner?
2. Desperate Romantics was a BBC2 series about the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. Name one of the original five founder members of the Brotherhood.
3. The 1956 film, Lust for Life, stars Kirk Douglas as which artist?
4. There are two presenters and three judges of the Sky Arts shows Landscape Artist of the Year and Portrait Artist of the Year. Name ONE of the presenters or judges.
5. The film Girl with a Pearl Earring, starring Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth, was set in the household of which Dutch artist?
6. Artist Tony Hart presented many children’s TV art programmes from the 1960s to the 1990s. He often appeared alongside an animated Plasticine character. What was the name of this character?
7. The 2022 film, The Duke, starring Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren, was based on the true story of the theft in 1961 of a portrait of the Duke of Wellington by Goya. Which gallery was it stolen from?
8. Four of the following five musicians are also visual artists. Who is the odd one out?
Joni Mitchell, Bryan Ferry, Ronnie Wood, Phil Collins, Bob Dylan
9. The fictional theft of a real-life painting of a bird by 17th-century Dutch artist Fabritius is the subject of a 2013 novel by Donna Tartt and a 2019 film. What was the title of both the novel and the film?
10. The 1972 record Vincent (Starry Starry Night) was made by which American singer-songwriter?
PEOPLE & PLACES
1. Which artist painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
2. In which world city would you find the Metropolitan Museum of Art?
3. Picasso’s 1937 masterpiece, Guernica, was inspired by the bombing of a village of that name in which country?
4. Which sculptor and artist made an iconic series of drawings of people sheltering on platforms in the London underground during World War 2?
5. Whose artwork of an embroidered tent was destroyed by a warehouse fire in 2004?
6. The Royal Academy was originally housed at Somerset House beside the Thames, where it held its annual summer exhibition. What is the name of the gallery that now occupies that space?
7. The artist Vanessa Bell was a member of the Bloomsbury group. What was the name of her literary sister, also a member of the group?
8. The artists Matisse and Toulouse-Lautrec share a common first name. What is it?
9. Which German artist was known for his highly realistic portraits, painting around 150 members of the court of Henry VIII?
10. The Tate is a network of four museums, two of which are in London. In which English locations are the other galleries situated?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
FILM, TV & MUSIC
1. Timothy Spall 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais, James Collinson and Frederic George Stephens 3. Vincent Van Gogh 4. Presenters: Joan Bakewell or Stephen Mangan. Judges: Tai Shan Schierenberg, Kate Bryan, Kathleen Soriano
5. Johannes Vermeer 6. Morph 7. The National Gallery, London 8. Phil Collins 9. The Goldfinch 10. Don MacLean
PEOPLE & PLACES
1. Michaelangelo 2. New York 3. Spain 4. Henry Moore 5. Tracey Emin 6. The Courtauld
7. Virginia Woolf 8. Henri 9. Hans Holbein the Younger 10. Liverpool and St Ives